Home Improvement

How Much Compensation Can You Get For Housing Disrepair?

If you live in Leeds and rent a property and have problems, you can make a claim for housing disrepair Leeds. You can get compensation for the hassle, inconvenience, and financial loss caused by the disrepair.

Generally, the amount of compensation you receive will depend on the severity of the disrepair. For example, a completely uninhabitable property can result in 100% of the rent being awarded but this is extremely rare.


Damages caused by housing disrepair can include repairs, the costs of replacing furniture, higher electricity bills, and any loss of enjoyment as a result of poor conditions. You can claim compensation for these losses, but you need to have proof of your loss.

Your landlord has a legal duty to repair any defects that are reported in good time. If they fail to carry out repairs within a reasonable time you can claim for damages.

The amount of compensation you get will depend on how much you have to spend on repairs, the duration of the problems, and how you have suffered from them. It may also be possible to claim for the costs of your health if the conditions in your home have affected your well-being.

We try to attribute community damage charges to the responsible parties, but when a person cannot be identified, all members of a suite, floor, or building are charged equally for damages. If you would like to appeal these charges please contact your Residence Coordinator.


Your landlord has a duty to ensure your home is suitable for you to live in. When this isn’t the case, you may have a legal claim for housing disrepair.

There is a wide range of problems that fall under the ‘housing disrepair’ umbrella, such as mould and damp issues, gas leaks, pest problems, and faulty central heating. These can all cause serious health problems, damage to your belongings and ultimately make your property uninhabitable.

As with all damages claims, the amount of compensation you get will depend on how severe your disrepair was and how long you had to live with it. In very rare cases, you may be awarded 100% of the rent you paid during the period in which you had to live in disrepair.

Loss of enjoyment

If you have lost enjoyment of your home as a result of housing disrepair, you may be able to claim compensation. This can be for things like the loss of your furniture or paintings due to water leaks that were not repaired.

The amount of compensation you can get for your housing disrepair will depend on how severe the damage is and how much it has affected you and your family’s daily life. It will also be calculated in relation to the rent that you paid if you were a tenant or the market rent of your property if you were a leaseholder.

There is no hard and fast rule as to how much you will be awarded, however, it will be decided by comparing past cases to yours. If your property was completely uninhabitable you could be awarded 100% compensation, but this is very rare. Usually, compensation ranges between 25% to 50% of your rent.


If you or a family member are ill because of housing disrepair you may be entitled to compensation. This can be for a range of illnesses such as asthma, breathing problems, cancer, gastrointestinal issues and mental health conditions.

The amount of compensation that you get will depend on how severe your illness is and how long it has been affecting your health. You can also claim for any financial losses you have incurred due to your illness such as lost earnings.

Your landlord must keep your home in a reasonable state of repair. This includes removing dangerous and unhealthy materials such as asbestos. It also involves maintaining a property with adequate ventilation and free from dampness.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button